Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Candle Light Ceremony

Our last night in Oregon, a very special Candle Light Ceremony was held. This night it to celebrate the joining of our family with Kayla. Kayla's caseworker, Lydia, conducted the ceremony. I will recall it the best I can.

Lydia: On this very special day, we are gathered to join Kayla and the McDowell Family into a new family. The first candle to be lit is to honor Kayla. (a candle was lit) Being able to love is a gift you were born with. There have been many people in your life who have loved you. Do you remember who loved you first?
Your biological family loved you first and they still do. Then, there have been foster parents love you and teachers, friends, therapists and workers. All these people love you.
(Second candle was lit by Kayla's candle)
This candle represents your biological family.
The last candle to be lit will be lit in honor of your new family. (We all helped Kayla lit the candle with her candle.) Your new family is here to love you and provide you a safe home. This is your forever family.
All three candles will remain lit for the rest of the evening. This is to remind us that we never have to blow out a candle to lite another. Our love just gets bigger and bigger for those in our future and those in our past.
Kayla was then asked to read the following:
"To My Mom and Dad,
I want to live with you and learn to care for you as my family. I am ready to accept my responsibilities as your daughter and as a family member."
Lydia then asked: "Kayla, are you ready to be a part of the McDowell family, to respect and learn to care for Chris and Christina, as your parents?"
Kayla said, "YES!" and then signed her name on the pledge.
Then I was asked to read a statement on behalf of Chris and I:
"To Kayla,
We welcome you into our family. As your parents, we promise to love and take care of you. We'll provide a safe environment for you to live in. As our child, you will be entitled to full family rights. Through good times and challenging times, we will grow together as a family."
(Of course, I was crying, as I read this. )
Lydia then asked, "Chris and Christina, are you ready to accept these parental responsibilities and to care for Kayla as your child, growing as a family through both good and difficult times?"
We said, "YES!" and signed the pledge.
Lydia then asked the audience to stand and said, " Being a family isn't always easy- all families have good times and challenging times. It's important that the entire McDowell family be able to count on your support. So, I ask you, will you pledge your friendship and, if needed, your help? Everyone in attendance replied, "Yes."
Lydia then said, "I am happy to present the new McDowell family!!"


1 comment:

Keri said...

So cute - she looks like she fits right in - congrats. So happy for you!