The next part of our adoption
story is where I really struggle. I
struggle to understand why. I struggle
to understand what is okay to share and what is not. I struggle with the stigma attached to our
troubles. I struggle with the unfair
judgments that are passed upon me and/or my family. I struggle with the gossip. I struggle with people’s lack of
understanding. I struggle to
accept.
It is this struggle that
prompted me, in the first place, to write this adoption story. Ours is not the warm fuzzy story that so many
of my friends have. It has taken a long
time to come to terms with that. I have
felt bitter, heartsick, devastated, and beaten down.
When pregnancy doesn’t work
you are told, “It’s okay—you can adopt.”
What happens when that doesn’t go the way you expect either? Well, that is what you are about to find out
in the upcoming posts.
January 2011 rolled around and something happened that I still struggle to put into words. At no point had the foster care trainer covered anything like this! I instinctively knew that this wasn’t “normal”, not even for a foster care adoption. This was beyond anything I could comprehend!
For many more months, I spent
countless days and nights caring for her as if we were in a psychiatric
hospital. Night after night I stayed up with her until 5am as she
screamed uncontrollably about "something blue that had jumped out of the
sink". She insisted it was coming
to get her, as was “the man with a knife standing outside of her window each
night”, none of which was actually happening.
I would put my hands on her face, look into her eyes, and with tears pouring down my face, say, "Sweetie, where are you? Please! Come back to us!" She stared back vacantly.
The nights of screaming turned to days of screaming. The psychosis got worse and she began taking out her violent actions onto my other two children, who were only 3 and 7, at the time. Bloody noses, black eyes, and bruised cheeks became common-place. Brothers where asked if they wanted a treat and when they replied yes, they’d get punched in the face and asked, “Did you enjoy your treat?” None of which she would remember when she would pull out of the psychotic episodes.
The boys’ beds were pulled
into our rooms at night, so that they could sleep safely behind a locked door
with mom and dad nearby for protection.
Life became about surviving, literally and emotionally.
No comments:
Post a Comment