Our Family

Our Family

Monday, November 3, 2008

First Day of Homeschool!

Landon began homeschool, today. I did everything in 15 minute sessions, so that it would fully keep his attention. We did singing and dancing in between our "sessions". Sometimes one subject will require two or three sessions (the time is just broken up).
I have found all kinds of fun websites with cute educational songs that cover just about anything and everything! So, we sang while beating our percussion set (that grandma and grandpa bought Landon a couple of years ago) to the beat. That just made it all that much more fun!
Landon loved math time and he does so well at it! It's his strong point. I'm bidding, on E-Bay, for a 1st grade Saxon math course. I just have to wait and see if we win!! (Normally it's $98.50!) In the meantime, I have quite a few of those work at home, type books.
We are going to start out with the Hooked on Phonics K program and see how we like it. I bought one off of e-bay for a great price, but it hasn't reached me yet! (I got a tracking number yesterday and found out that it was shipped on October 22, but then didn't leave Atlanta until yesterday!)
We have the magazine "Highlights". Today we read about the animals in Africa and the difference between conservation and preservation. (I think Landon may become a little environmentalist by the end of this year because he is taking a class at the Ogden Nature Center, with other homeschoolers, and the course material for the year is "Living Sustainably". I want to expand on that in our classroom and with our reading.) He enjoyed hearing about the animals in Africa.
Our story told us, that in Africa the animals would come and eat the farmers crops. That was their livelyhood and food. The boys' job in the family was to go out into the crops and scare away the animals. Some of the animals they named were elephants, baboons and wart hogs, to name a few. The boy, in the true story, was only about Landon's age. He was expected to go out by himself to run off the animals!
Landon thought the prospect of going into Grandma and Grandpa's feild, to scare off animals, was exciting! He said he wished he could live in Africa and do that everyday.
We, also, did Health today and talked all about the Food Pyramid. The funny thing is the stuff I'm using to teach him is the stuff I'll be teaching my client in Peer Parenting. I guess it's not funny, just ironic. Anyway, he picked it up really quick. We taped a pyramid to our classroom floor and cut out food. He had to categorize them. He did great!
We did quite a few things, but there's a quick recap of what we are working on.

1 comment:

Keri said...

Wow, you are good. I don' think I could EVER EVER EVER homeschool. How long do you plan on doing that?