Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Home Storage Item of the Week:

This weeks item is: MILK (dried milk, canned milk, rice milk, baby formula, soy milk, etc...whatever works for your family!)
Here's a picture of my Written Inventory, on my freezer:

I have organized my pantry, so that everything is in eyesight and labeled. This way nothing gets wasted.


I am lucky to have a storage room, in addition to my pantry. As you can see, it is quite bare, at the moment, but in time, it will build. The idea would be that I "shop" for my pantry from the storage room. Then, I will use my written inventory to keep track of what I need to buy from the store, to replace the used items from my one year's supply in the storage room.

Also, I am starting to put together our emergency 72 hour kits. I'd like to have them completed and hung in my storage room by the end of November. There are many different lists, but here's what we are trying to compile for our kits:

1- Back Pack per person (DI has nice bags for $1.50)
2- 3 Days of food (remember there is no fridge or cooking available)
- protein/granola bars, trail mix, dried fruit, crackers, cereal, tuna, beans, canned turkey and chicken, veinna sausages, etc... ("pop top" cans can explode, better to go with a traditional can)
3- canned juice
4- candy/ gum
5- water
6- change of clothing (long and short sleeved shirts)
7- undergarments
8- rain coat/poncho
9- emergency blankets
10-cloth sheet
11- plastic sheet (you can buy big plastic sheets for painting)
12- flashlight with batteries
13- flares
14- candles
15- waterproof matches/ lighters
16- can opener
17- dishes
18- small foldable shovel (we are just getting two of these, one for me, one for Chris)
19- radio with batteries
20- pen and paper
21- Axe (you can buy small folding ones)
22- pocket knives (these open cans, too)
23- rope/ twine
24- duct tape
25- first aid supplies
26- toiletries (feminine supplies, too)
27- cleaning supplies
28- medication
29- work gloves
30-dust mask
31- whistle
32- 15 " pry bar (people could be stuck under rubble, in an earthquake)
33- saftey vest
34- scriptures
35- copy of patriarchal blessing, geneology records
36- copy of immunizations
37- copy of legal documents
38- insurance policies
39- cash
40- credit cards and phone cards

You'll have to be creative as to home to make it fit and maybe you can skip out on some of the stuff. Obviously Korbin isn't going to need an ax or a pry bar! Use what will work for you.
Also, an AMAZING website I found for homestorage and emergency prepardeness is:
simplylivingsmart.com
Check it out!!! AWESOME!!

No comments: