Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, October 11, 2008

My New Job

I did training today for a part time job I am going to be doing, for fun. I mentioned that I wanted to do it, before, but now I am actually able to. I am going to be working as a Peer Parent.
I will be contracted by DCFS to go into homes and teach parents, usually single moms, parenting and home management skills. My clients will either have children currently in foster care or have children that are at risk for going into foster care. The program is awesome!
We have a set criteria we need to cover, but I can cover the material in any ways that I think will be suitable, assuming they are tried and true. (I can't just go and teach some bizzare parenting method! lol!)
I love the flexibility this job offers me! I get to decide how many hours a week I will work, when I will work and how I am going to teach the material. I will be teaching a variety of skills including: Abuse & Neglect, Anger/Stress Mgt, Budgeting/Finances, Child Dev, Child/Home Safety, Communication, Daily Responsibilities, Discipline, Education, Home Mgt, Medical Care, Nuturing/Bonding, Nutrition, Supervision and Support Sys/Community Resources.
My job, also, entails paperwork and documentation, which I get to do from home (only about an hour a week, per case). I, also, will be attending Team and Family Meetings with the client's caseworker. I am actually in charge of the initial meeting. (That slightly intimidates me!) The meeting helps us determine what the client needs to work on and then it is up to me to put a plan together of how to teach it. Occassionally, I will have to attend court with my clients. (My reports and documentation go before the judge.) And I get a little fancy name badge that gives me access to using the copy machine in the DCFS building...that makes me feel sooooo special...j/k!
Most important to me is my family. I am only going to be working a couple of evenings a week and Chris will be home with the boys. This is just my way of adding spice to my life! lol! It's a chance for me to get out of the house and have some "adult time", which I need. So, in the end, I think it'll make me a happier mom!
Anyway, I will let you know how it gets on! I'm not sure when I will get my first client. I think there is still paperwork I still need to turn in, but it'll be exciting!!!

1 comment:

Victoria said...

I'm so excited for you. It's so nice to have an outlet for yourself. That sounds like a great job too! Good Luck!!