Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Daisy...May she Rest in Peace

Our sweet little Daisy dog passed away tonight. She was a great friend and family member. She will be deeply missed. She was only 5 years old, but due to her undeniable instinct to hunt, her life was ended early by a porky pine attack. Numerous quills went into her lungs and there was nothing we could do.
She will forever be remembered. She has been burried under her tree, in the front of the yard. She loved her tree and she loved laying under it, when the weather was nice. I have painted daisy seedlings growing on my kitchen table, so as soon as the frost danger is over, the daisies will be planted over Daisy's grave, in honor of her.
Daisy was amazing!! When I was very ill, with my pregnancy with Korbin, hooked up to IVs, unable to walk, she would gently creep into my bedroom and slowly and gently put her head under my arm to comfort me. She always made sure to be extra cautious, so as to not pull out my IVs.
When we brought Korbin home from the hospital, Daisy got down and slowly pulled her body along the floor to creep over to him to say hi. And although she was excited about Korbin, she thought we'd gotten rid of Landon. Then, when Landon come home from his grandma's, Daisy went nuts, realizing that her boy was home!!
Daisy saved my life from a cougar that tried to attack me. Without thinking, she ran, jumped and intercepted the cougar before it had a chance to land on me. In mid air, they intercepted and Daisy fought hard to make sure I was okay. She was unlike any dog.
Although, we have our humurous moments, like when she got on point and Chris said, "Get the bird" and out ran a black bear! But then again, this is the dog, who would play with rattle snakes! She thought she was invinsable!
Daisy was an exceptional hunting dog and someone even offered us $3,000 on the spot for her. Of course, we declined, she was our family member. She won 1st place in her very first pheasant trial, against professional dogs.
But, not only could she hunt, but she knew how to comfort. When Kamber, our foster daughter, would have terrible nightmares, Daisy was the only one who could soothe her. We would spend hours with her trying to get her to calm down, with no luck, then one night I thought, "Let's bring Daisy in". Kamber immediately calmed down, gave Daisy a love and Daisy spent the rest of the night on her bed, held in Kamber's arms like a teddy bear. From that night on, Daisy spent countless nights comforting a little girl in need of love that only a furry, four legged creature could give her.
I could go on and on, but for now, I will end, just saying that she was the greatest dog anyone could have ever asked for!! She will be remembered always! May our sweet little girl, Daisy dog, rest in peace.

(Sorry the last part of the song is kind of loud. We just loved the first part of the song. I'd like to cut it off, towards the end though. :) )

3 comments:

Rammells said...

I can't beleive it! Are you going to try and find another dog? It would be hard to replace Daisy...

And...no...please don't stop blogging. I don't comment very often, but I do 'stalk' ALL the time.

The Hodsons said...

Sounds like a really great dog with a great heart! Sorry for your loss.

Victoria said...

This was such a sweet tribute to Daisy and so well written. What a sweet dog! I'm not a big fan of porcupines now. I'm just glad Daisy is at peace.