Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Finding a Cure for Hyperemesis

As most of you know, I had Hyperemesis with both of my pregnancies, ranging in severity. As we now plan for our 3rd baby (yes, you read that right) I'm doing as much as I can to be physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually ready for whatever this next pregnancy may hold. This will be a long preparation period, perhaps lasting over a year. I began with preparations a few months ago.
I know there are some of you that would not agree with my decision, saying that it is too risky, but I'm asking you to please just put your faith in me and in our decision, as we put our faith in Heavenly Father and his everlasting love and protection.
After my pregnancy with Korbin, I found an organization called the HER Foundation. They seem to have more information on the disease than any other group I have found. I'm genuinely asking my family and friends to please take some time to look at the their website and educate yourself about this illness, as it would be greatly helpful for me, during my pregnancy, to have understanding people around me.
http://www.helpher.org/
Unfortunately, there is no known cause or cure for Hyperemesis. Without a cause, their can be no cure. It is greatly misunderstood and under researched. As someone who has suffered from it's affects, I am joining forces, in my small way to help find the answers that women with hyperemesis are longing for. This is where I need your help.
The HER Foundation and the University of Southern California have teamed up to do a controlled study of women with HG. They are hoping to be able to find the cause of HG, so that proper treatment and medications can be created, so that they can eventually work towards a cure! At the moment, there are no medications designed for women with HG.
In an attempt to help HG moms, doctors are prescribing medications used for chemo patients. These medications do not treat the problem, they only ease the nausea and for some women, not even that happens.
I would like to participate in the study and in order to so, I have to have one friend, that has not experienced HG with at least 2 pregnancies to do the study with me. That person will act as the "control". It is absolutely no cost and you can do it in your home. (For anyone that has had HG and would like to participate the guidelines can be found on the HER Foundation website. I do know you have to have been on IVs and/or feeding tubes to qualify as an HG patient, for the study.)
Last but not least, I have a You Tube video for you to watch. Although, this may seem to you like any other news report, it brought me to tears. Only someone that has experienced Hyperemesis will understand what it is. Everyone else, can only imagine. I really, really, appreciate you taking the time to educate yourself on this illness and for all the people that have been so kind and considerate in the past, as I dealt with HG.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGOqqbBCWg8
Here's an article about HG, published by the Washington Post. I can really relate to pretty much everything the reporter is writing about! Dang those $600 a week meds! Which might I add, is not covered by my insurance. Victoria once said to me, "Your baby better come out gold plated because of all the money you've been spending." lol.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/31/AR2008103103489.html
It's that loving community feeling of support and friendship that allows me to know that I can do this again! With friends, family and God, nothing is impossible!

3 comments:

Tiff and Trev said...

Hey Christina! I didn't know you had such rough pregnancies...my older sister had hyperemesis for both of her pregnancies and ended up in the ICU for 2 weeks after her second baby was born. I have had two perfect pregnancies and would be happy to help with the study if you need me to. I know there is also a study between 2 siblings one who has had hyperemesis, and one who hasn't.

Anyway, good luck in your preperation! I hear it can get worse with each pregnancy! Hope that isn't the case though...

Let me know if I can help.

Jolynn said...

Thanks for sharing. You are a brave woman. I am sorry that your pregnancies are so hard. Good luck with the next one. I would be happy to help you with the study. It is great that they are doing research and hopefully they can get some answers and be able to help women with hyperemesis.

Keri said...

Wow! So are you guys trying again? or still adopting or both? I've been horrible at keeping up with you! We need to chat on facebook again, lol. Good luck with your endeavors. I'm sure what's suposed to happen will, cause you make a great family!