Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Our Foster Care Update

Well, people keep asking, so I'll post a little update. We put all of our foster care stuff on hold to move and if you read my blog you'll know we didn't move. (long story) After finally unpacking the house, spending two weeks sick (the whole family) and locking up just about everything we own (LOL!) we are finally ready to go! (Licensing has pretty strict requirements...ANYTHING that says "keep away from children" has to be locked up, with the exception of shampoo and dish soap...check your stuff...it all says, "keep away from children"!)
We met with a social worker this last week to finish up our paperwork/homestudy. She said that The Christmas Box House, the children's shelter in Ogden, has been at full capacity lately (most of them in the age range we are going for). They had to get special permission to allow more children to stay there, than the usually number allowed.
They are in great need of foster parents, but with the great sudden increase in children, it has created a great deal of work for all the social workers. So, while they really need us, they are trying to finish up other homestudies that are before us and their time is limited.
It looks like we are about two weeks out from being licensed. The social worker has to type up a 15 page report on us, our background, our family, our home etc... And yes, if you are related to us, they now know all about your life, too. LOL! They want to know EVERYTHING!
Once we are licensed they can call us with a child, but generally they like us to meet with a Resource Social Worker first, who will get to know us even further. I feel like my life is on display with Foster Care! LOL! She will talk really indepth with us about what our preferences are. She will be the one to call us with a child when she thinks she's found a good match. By the time that is done, we are probably looking at three weeks from now.
While Foster Care doesn't garauntee a placement, the social worker we met with said she bets they will call us almost immediately. She said they are in such great need and that our house and our homestudy all looks great. So....we've got about a month, give or take a little!
It's definetly getting exciting!
I feel I have that "nesting instinct" that you get when you are 9 months pregnant. I've suddenly become very excited to get the bedroom together. I really just feel like I'm 9 mo pregnant (minus the discomfort and misery!!) and waiting for my baby to be born. LOL! I've been printing out schedules and chore charts and all the things I used to do with Landon before I had Korbin...the pregnancy really threw me off! And I'm just now noticing it! LOL!
Anyway, I'm enjoying the month with my boys. I'm really determined to get Korbin to sleep through the night, as I figure when the child gets here it'll be like having a newborn again, for a while, anyway. (Figure how scary this all has to be for the child...they don't sleep well.) Then when we get that call, it'll be a mad dash to get things ready! Because we don't know the age or gender (we have requested 18mo to a young 4yrs) I can't go buy clothes or toys just yet. So, when they call I'll have about 24 hours to go get what we need and go pick 'em up.
Whoa...this is a little longer than my short update I was going to give! LOL! Well, now you have all the details and a nice long update. :)

1 comment:

Julie said...

What a blessing it will be for some lucky child to be able to stay with you, Christina. You are a wonderful, caring mom.