Our Family

Our Family

Friday, August 22, 2008

Back to School

I decided to start working towards a degree at Weber State University. I don't know why, for fun, I guess. lol. They just sent me a letter saying that they wont be able to accept my ACT scores because they are too old, so I have take placement tests in math and english. I don't care about english, but math.....ugh...I did terrible 8 years ago on my math section of the ACT, like I'm going to remember anything!!!! I guess I'm going to have to get studying!
Well, number one priority is my boys,my family and my life. So, this will be a very slow going process. I think I figured that to get my associates degree in General Education (my first plan), it's going to take about 5 years. lol. Perhaps shorter, if I can do more classes than planned when Korbin starts preschool.
I will be able to get my associate's in Gen Ed, completely online. So, that'll be cool. Then I'll have to evaluate my life at that point, but if I were to decide today what to major in, I'd have no clue. lol!

As of now my list stands, in no particular order:
Anthropology
Elementary Education
Family Studies
Gerontology
Pyschology
Sociology

A lot of "ology", huh?

So, I LOVE working with people, particularly people that are struggling and/or are in need of help. But, more than that, I LOVE figuring out ways to CHANGE things that will help people. So, rather than just helping, I'd want to make changes in "systems" and programs, hopefully creating something that'd be succesful.
Also, I'm all about equality and educating people about tolerance. In fact, I just LOVE education. Elementary Education seems stable, but being able to educate about family structure, human behaviors, etc...that'd be the coolest! I'd love my trainers job at foster care. lol.
And of course, if you know me well, Gerontology should be no suprize! The elderly are absolutely my favorite people on earth and from ages 8-19 I spent endless, uncountable hours at nursing homes, volunteering my time. It truly, created some amazing, unforgettable childhood experiences. I'd love to be a director of a nursing or retirement home.
But, really, I'm just going to be staying home with my boys. It'll be a great thing for me to do though and perhaps one day I will be able to put my degree to work. Afterall, when Korbin is 18, I'll only be 43....lots of life still ahead of me! (Like 50 more years...lol...I don't plan on going before 90. I've got too much to do before I die!)
So, there you go. Wish me luck with the math tests. I still have quite a while to study, but I'm really not sure what to study! lol! I guess I'll have to contact them and see if their is some preperation material.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Thank you so much for inviting to view your blog. I love it, Christina! Wow, your boys are getting so big. I need to see them in person again one of these times!

Victoria said...

You are so super duper amazing. Good for you! Maybe you'll be a social worker like me. I think we have the same love of helping others, especially those truly in need. You have such a big heart and unconditional love.....thanks to mom for teaching us that. Anyways YOU GO GIRL! Any degree is better than none, no matter how long it takes.

Holls said...

Good for you, Christina! I have never regretted my education. I saw your parents today at Alex's farewell. It made me really miss you and I think we need to get together real soon.

Jolynn said...

Good for you!! I really want to go back to school, but I just don't know if I can manage my time well enough with 2 little kids. Good luck with school and picking a major. Let me know how it goes, you might just inspire me to go for it!