Our Family

Our Family

Friday, July 18, 2008

Our Latest Adventures

On Thursday my mom came up to our house so that Chris and I could go for a horse ride with our friend, Melisa, and a couple of her friends. It was a beautiful ride, just over by Snow Basin. I was able to lead most of the way with Kayden, which was fun. Although, Kayden is a smart guy and figured out that if he went faster than the rest he'd get to stop up ahead and graze on the mountain grass for a while, which I really didn't mind. So, I spent most of the time just me and Kayden with the other 4 horses trailing behind. (There was an old 25 year old horse with an 8 year old kid on him and he had a hard time keeping up.)
The 8 year old boy kept begging his mom to go fast, so finnally part way through his mom took the lead and put her son behind her, with the rest of us following and took off in a gallop. It's the most fun I've ever had on a horse! I do think we scared the living daylights out of a mountain biker, though! He came around the bend on his bike and there we were, 5 horses running towards him. They almost had a collision, but managed to miss each other by about an inch or two!
The first horse in line was *terrified* and ran off the trail, at which point the 8 year old boy lets out a shriek of terror and his horse runs off the trail, too. I was behind the 8 year old and I wasn't really sure what had happened, but good old reliable, Kayden, just stopped and looked around. It was somewhat amusing....luckily the biker didn't get run over and everyone was okay!! lol. The biker looked like he was going to pass out with fear...poor guy!
My mom decided to spend the night, which is good because the next morning we woke up to three horses missing. (Chris forgot to shut the gate the night before when we brought the horses home....and I don't know how your forget that, but he did...lol.) So, we spent the early hours of the morning searching for horses, which we found, AGAIN, at the place were we were boarding them. It's amazing how they remember things!
Chris caught Kayden and I held onto him while he attempted to catch Eden. But I think we've deteremined that Eden knows she's my horse and for some reason she responds really well to me, so after running from Chris, she walks right over to me and puts her head down for me. lol. She's such a sweetie and I can't wait to start riding her!
(The man that we boarded Eden and Kayden with is very nice and has offered to let me go over and work with Eden in his arena. So, he (who everyone knows as "Cowboy Kip") and my friend, Melisa, are going to start teaching me ground work with Eden. I'm really excited.)
But was that enough adventure for one day?!?! Oh no!! Later, that evening, Chris brought a boat home for us to test drive. We headed out with the kids to Pineview. Long story short, we got stranded out in the middle of the lake. The boat totally died on us!! For anyone that knows the lake, we were clear over by the actual dam, where there isn't many boaters. We kept waving our arms up and down, but no one seemed to notice us. After, three prayers some people finally noticed us and pulled us to the dock. The sun was starting to set and I was starting to get a little nerveous that we'd be spending a night on the lake! I think we would have been mighty cold in our swimsuits and towels. Had we not had the kids with us, I think I would have just put my life jacket on and swam to shore. Anyway, we are okay now.
So, there you go. There is the latest McDowell adventures!!

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Wow! You crazy kids. You get all the best stories. I'm so glad you got off the lake though, how scary! Sounds like you guys are having way to much fun.....Can't wait to come over some time and let the kids ride.