Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thunder's Update

Read the previous post first, if you have not.

Thunder was taken to the vet. They can not stitch her up, due to the location of the wound. It would tear open every time she moved her head. They gave her some shots and medication. The wound is open and we just have to keep it clean and medicated. She should heal well. The vet didn't think she'd scar because the wound is such a "clean cut" because of the razor sharp claws. You can see the claw marks going all the way down her neck and then the big open wound is in the front. It's pretty bad.
Chris thinks he has broken his hand, when he fell into the ravine. (not sure how to spell that) But most of all, his neck is really hurting him. Yet, tough Chris is off to work. I am going to send him to my chiropractor, though.
Chris reported the incident to the Division of Wildlife and they said that Chris was the 4th report from our area, this morning. One other horse has been attacked and two dogs have been killed. They sent out a trapper to get the "big wild cat".
The Division of Wildlife just called to let us know that the trapper's hounds followed the cat's sent up through the neigborhood, up North Fork River and up onto Avon. The cat has been found and shot. They confirmed that it was a 120lb cougar!!!
I'm just glad that Thunder will be okay and that Daisy wasn't outside. And more than that, I'm glad Chris is okay. He went out with the horses to calm them down, not knowing the cougar was there. Thunder was going crazy and he went and petted her. He petted her right were the wounds are and at the time, there was no wound. He then left, chasing after Kayden.
After he left, I heard all kinds of crazy noises in the back and the horses, literally, just screaming neighs. They were running around crazy, even our neighbors heard them. I just figured they were upset that Kayden was gone, although I did think it strange. We are positive the cougar attacked right after Chris left.
I've had enough excitment for one life time!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

How scary! We are SO glad that you are all okay and that the horse will get better. How sad:( Those mountains sure are pretty to live by but scary with those big cats around. Hopefully there won't be anymore around. Let us know how Chris' hand is.

Keri said...

That is scary! Good thing Chris was protected. Could you imagine what the possibilities could be? Makes for a story that you can tell for years. My dad has stories like that....

Victoria said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new picture on your blog header. You guys are TOO cute! How is Chris' hand. Email me. Luv ya, xoxo